Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Slow cookers can make quick work of breakfast. What could be better than waking up to the fresh aroma of a hearty morning meal wafting through the house? With the aid of the Crock pot, it's easy to give the entire family a hot breakfast, regardless of when they drag themselves out of bed. This recipe has been passed down to me from friends. It is a Christmas morning tradition in our household. It's great to throw it together the night before and not have to worry about cooking the next morning. We typically spoon it into tortillas and top with salsa for breakfast tacos. Very forgiving recipe, you can do just about anything to it. UPDATE: I've noticed some people not having luck with this, so I wanted to add a few things -- make SURE you use DICED hash browns, little squares, not the shredded stuff. Also, I've only ever made this in an oval crock with a removal ceramic interior. You may want to check it after 8 hours if your crock runs hot.
- 32 ounces frozen hash brown potatoes (diced)
- 1 lb bacon, diced cooked and drained or 1 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper (more or less to taste)
- Place layer of frozen potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker, followed by a layer of bacon, then onions, green pepper and cheese.
- Repeat the layering process two or three more times, ending with a layer of cheese.
- Beat the eggs, milk and salt and pepper together.
- Pour over the Crock pot mixture, cover and turn on low.
- Cook for 10-12 hours.
- Note: This is a base recipe, you can do whatever you want to it. We always put it in tortillas with salsa and extra cheese and have breakfast tacos. The salsa seems to meld the flavors as well.
Well it seems like the reviews are split down the middle. Either you think this one's a keeper, or....! Sorry to say, I won't be making it again. Yes, it got done VERY fast - of course it would! There are no big chunks of animal protein to cook! Was wayyy done in under 5 hours for me. But that's kinda what I expected (oval crock pot w/removable interior). For us, it was just a general consistancy thing. The diced hash browns don't get crisp - again, how would they? But that is a definite preference. And then the eggs...more hard than fluffy. Again, with this method of cooking, fluffy eggs would be an unrealistic expectation. Plus, there's not really a whole lot of flavor. But put all that together and well... thanks for sharing anyway! :-)
I made this for a church group brunch that was early early one morning. It smelled delicious! I gave the recipe 4 stars on a "user error"... Definately use DICED potatoes. Cut the ham chunks in half. Add lots o' onion. Use all 12 eggs and a full cup of milk, even though it looks like a lot, it's not! I'm from Wisconsin, so I love me some cheddar cheese...added lots! And lastly, don't be shy with the seasonings. Salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash are your friends.
My family loved this one! I used egg beaters and turkey bacon, which worked just fine. Even the kids liked it! We will make again!