Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is what we have on Christmas morning. This is a little different than most breakfast casseroles that have been posted here, so I thought I would share. It is very good and I like to keep it special by serving it only this one time a year.
- 1 loaf bread (cut crusts)
- 1 lb bacon, cooked
- 2 -3 cups mozzarella cheese or 2 -3 cups cheddar cheese, combined (I only used about 1 cup total)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk (could add other additional ingredients that suit your tastes, but I prefer it simple like listed abo)
- Spray 9 x13.
- Lay 6 pieces of bread in bottom of pan, and then layer half the bacon and cheese and repeat.
- Combine beaten eggs, salt, pepper and milk, pour over top.
- Let sit overnight Bake at 350 45 to 60 minutes.
- (35 minutes covered and then the last 10-15 uncovered).
My family loved this recipe! It sure made Christmas morning a lot easier. The only confusing thing was the amount of cheese called for...it say 2-3 cups but only use 1 cup...confusing. We used 2 cups and it turned out great...even better were the leftovers reheated the next day!
Super easy to make and a crowd pleaser. My brother in law makes this same recipe for Christmas! We only use 4-6 slices of bread on the bottom and don't do another layer. The more cheese the better in our book. We also do 1/2 bacon and 1/2 sausage. Yum!
I think this is a very easy and tasty recipe. I prepared this the night before Christmas so that my family could have a decent breakfast in the morning - without fuss. You could easily play with ingredients to suit your tastes by adding other meats/veggies (I used cooked sausage instead of bacon). I used 2 cups of cheddar cheese and found that to be perfect. I will be making this dish again for sure. Thank you for sharing this keeper!