A classic from Mrs Beeton's. This is the more usual recipe found in the UK. Because I prefer it, I leave out the suet - which makes it vegetarian - and add more brandy if it is too dry.
- 200 g cut mixed peel
- 200 g seedless raisins
- 25 g preserved gingerroot
- 200 g cooking apples
- 200 g shredded suet
- 200 g sultanas
- 200 g currants
- 200 g soft brown sugar
- 50 g chopped blanched almonds
- 1 pinch mixed spice (ground ginger, ground cinnamon)
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 orange, juice and rind of
- 150 ml sherry wine or 150 ml brandy or 150 ml rum
- Mince of chop finely the peel, raisins and ginger.
- Peel, core and grate the apples.
- Combine all the ingredients thoroughly in a large basin.
- Leave, covered for 2 days in a cool place, stirring occasionally.
- This prevents fermentation later.
- Pot, cover and label.
- Store in a cool dry place.