Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Because of the whole wheat flour, I've always felt these squares were somewhat healthy. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I definitely can say they're delicious, and perfect for any holiday goodie platter.
- Preheat oven to 375F; grease a 13x9 pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and baking soda.
- Stir in melted butter and mix together until mixture appears crumbly.
- Firmly pat half the crumb mixture into prepared pan, then cover evenly with mincemeat.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over mincemeat and pat lightly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until squares appear golden brown.
- Cool before cutting into squares.
Thank you for the recipe. My husband loves those squares, he says that it is better than date squares.
I made these to take to our family Thanksgiving dinner -- they came out wonderfully! I followed the recipe exactly and they're perfect -- chewy and delicious. Next time I'll add some cinnamon to the wheat/oats mixture. I love mincemeat but can't be bothered with pie; these bars are a super-easy way to satisfy my holiday mincemeat craving. Thanks!
I made these over Xmas and they were a great success. Instead of the usual mincemeat square with a pastry base (quite stodgy), these were more like a flapjack with a thin mincemeat layer; sweet, chewy, delicious. Thanks