1/1 Photo of Christmas Meat Pie - Cook Ahead and Freeze
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Tina and Dave's Note:
Found on the BBC Good Food site.Made this for the family at Christmas and everyone LOVED it! I'm not going to wait 12 months before making another (minus the holly leaves!) The time stated excludes cooling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g sausage meat or 500 g skinned sausages
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 100 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 85 g ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
- 50 g chestnuts, chopped (canned or vacuum packed)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, chopped
- 100 g cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 500 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 500 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- beaten egg, to glaze
- 1Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Heat 1 tbsp oil and the butter in a frying pan, then add the onion and fry for 5 mins until softened. Cool slightly. Tip the sausagemeat, lemon zest, breadcrumbs, apricots, chestnuts and thyme into a bowl. Add the onion and cranberries, and mix everything together with your hands, adding plenty of pepper and a little salt.
- 2Cut each chicken breast into three fillets lengthwise and season all over with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan, and fry the chicken fillets quickly until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- 3Roll out two-thirds of the pastry to line a 20-23cm springform or deep loose-based tart tin. Press in half the sausage mix and spread to level. Then add the chicken pieces in one layer and cover with the rest of the sausage. Press down lightly.
- 4Roll out the remaining pastry. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg and cover with the pastry lid. Pinch the edges to seal, then trim. Brush the top of the pie with egg, then roll out the trimmings to make holly leaf shapes and berries. Decorate the pie and brush again with egg.
- 5Set the tin on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 mins, then cool in the tin for 15 minutes Remove and leave to cool completely. Serve with a winter salad and pickles.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Meat Pie - Cook Ahead and Freeze
Serving Size: 1 (2018 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.6
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 100.1 mg
- Sodium 971.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of