Recipe by FoodFromSicily
I found this recipe on the Hershey website. I changed the original recipe to add extra almond extract because when I tasted the dough, 1 tsp didnt seem like enough. You can add more if you feel it needs even more of an almondy taste.
Top Review by cheapvino
I love almond cookies to begin with but this is the BEST almond taste ever in a cookie! I prefer cookies that aren't all buttery and rich and too sweet. These are substantial, nutty and satisfying whether you eat just one or (ahem) several -- like I did.
- 1 (8 ounce) baghershey's milk chocolate kisses or 1 (8 ounce) baghershey's chocolate kisses with almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped maraschino cherry, well drained
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts or 2 cups almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F Grease cookie sheet. Remove wrappers from chocolate pieces.
- Beat butter, shortening, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and almond extract; beat until blended. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in cherries.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Combine egg white and water; beat with fork until foamy. Roll balls in egg white, then in walnuts or almonds. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately place chocolate piece on top of each cookie, pressing down gently so that cookie cracks around the edge. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Allow cookies to cool until chocolate piece is set, about 3 hours. About 4 dozen cookies.