Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Light and airy meringues with a melt-in-the-mouth texture.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1 cup almond meal
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tarter until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the sugar one tablespoon at a time.
- Continue to beat until mixture is very stiff.
- Mix in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Fold in almond meal and chocolate.
- Drop by spoonful or use pastry bag or zip top bag to make 1 inch mounds on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 275 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes until firm and light tan.
- Store in an air-tight container.