Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
These cookies are made with candied fruit and nuts, flavored with nutmeg. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 1⁄2 ounces flour (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts, large chop
- 8 ounces candied red cherries, halved
- 8 ounces candied green cherries, halved
- 8 ounces candied pineapple, pieces cut in half
- 1 cup dates, large chop
- Set butter aside in a large bowl to soften.
- In another bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Set aside enough cherry halves so that there is enough to top each cookie with one.
- Add remaining fruit and walnuts to a third bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the flour mixture to the fruit and stir until it is coated with flour and mixed well. (This helps separate the fruit and keep it from sticking together.).
- After butter has softened, beat butter, sugar and eggs until creamy. Mix in buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add half of flour mixture and mix well. Add remaining flour and mix.
- Note: At this point, make sure everything is mixed well because the mixture will be very stiff and hard to stir after adding the fruit.
- Stir in half of the fruit mixture into the cookie dough. Add remaining fruit and mix.
- Refrigerate dough for an hour or more (may be refrigerated overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls on non-stick or lightly greased cookie sheet. Top each cookie with one reserved cherry half.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly with finger.
- Remove and cool.