1 hr 15 mins
Jo Anne's Note:
These cookies are made with candied fruit and nuts, flavored with nutmeg. Prep time does not include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 1/2 ounces flour (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts, large chop
- 8 ounces candied red cherries, halved
- 8 ounces candied green cherries, halved
- 8 ounces candied pineapple, pieces cut in half
- 1 cup dates, large chop
- 1Set butter aside in a large bowl to soften.
- 2In another bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- 3Set aside enough cherry halves so that there is enough to top each cookie with one.
- 4Add remaining fruit and walnuts to a third bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the flour mixture to the fruit and stir until it is coated with flour and mixed well. (This helps separate the fruit and keep it from sticking together.).
- 5After butter has softened, beat butter, sugar and eggs until creamy. Mix in buttermilk and vanilla.
- 6Add half of flour mixture and mix well. Add remaining flour and mix.
- 7Note: At this point, make sure everything is mixed well because the mixture will be very stiff and hard to stir after adding the fruit.
- 8Stir in half of the fruit mixture into the cookie dough. Add remaining fruit and mix.
- 9Refrigerate dough for an hour or more (may be refrigerated overnight).
- 10Preheat oven to 350.
- 11Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls on non-stick or lightly greased cookie sheet. Top each cookie with one reserved cherry half.
- 12Bake 12-15 minutes, until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly with finger.
- 13Remove and cool.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Jewel Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1953 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1853.7
- Calories from Fat 624
- Total Fat 69.4 g
- Saturated Fat 32.2 g
- Cholesterol 228.9 mg
- Sodium 1437.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 297.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 202.0 g
- Protein 21.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied green cherries