Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
This is the Christmas morning fruit bread that I make every year for my family. It makes 2 large or 3 small canes and if you do not ice them - they can be frozen for later use. Christmas is not the same without this treat.
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, chopped and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed candied fruit, with peel
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup mincemeat
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 (8 g) envelopes fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour milk or 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- COMBINE filling ingredients and set aside.
- DISSOLVE 1tsp sugar in warm water. Add yeast and let stand 10 minutes; stir well.
- ADD sour milk, eggs, sugar, margarine and half the flour combined with baking powder and salt. Beat vigorously until batter is smooth and elastic. Add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- TURN OUT onto lightly foured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- DIVIDE dough into either 2 or 3 parts. Roll one part into rectangle. Place rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spread 1/2 or 1/3 of the filling down the centre of the rectangle. Cut dough on each side into 2 inch strips. Fold strips over filling alernating sides. Stretch dough and shape into cane.
- REPEAT the same method with the remaining pieces.
- COVER with towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 45 - 60 minutes.
- BAKE at 375 degrees for 18 -20 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool on racks.
- DECORATE canes with glaze. I usually cut half red cherries and quarter green ones to make berries on the top of the cane.