1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is the Christmas morning fruit bread that I make every year for my family. It makes 2 large or 3 small canes and if you do not ice them - they can be frozen for later use. Christmas is not the same without this treat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, chopped and drained
- 1 1/2 cups mixed candied fruit, with peel
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup mincemeat
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 (8 g) envelopes fast rising yeast
- 1 1/4 cups sour milk or 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1COMBINE filling ingredients and set aside.
- 2DISSOLVE 1tsp sugar in warm water. Add yeast and let stand 10 minutes; stir well.
- 3ADD sour milk, eggs, sugar, margarine and half the flour combined with baking powder and salt. Beat vigorously until batter is smooth and elastic. Add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- 4TURN OUT onto lightly foured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 5DIVIDE dough into either 2 or 3 parts. Roll one part into rectangle. Place rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spread 1/2 or 1/3 of the filling down the centre of the rectangle. Cut dough on each side into 2 inch strips. Fold strips over filling alernating sides. Stretch dough and shape into cane.
- 6REPEAT the same method with the remaining pieces.
- 7COVER with towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 45 - 60 minutes.
- 8BAKE at 375 degrees for 18 -20 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool on racks.
- 9DECORATE canes with glaze. I usually cut half red cherries and quarter green ones to make berries on the top of the cane.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Jewel Canes
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.8
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 285.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed candied fruit