Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A pretty red and green cake that tastes wonderful! Each layer has Jello running through it giving festive red and green all though the cake. My mother has been baking this cake for years. It is a holiday tradition.
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as indicated for cake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or as indicated for cake mix)
- 1 cup water (or as indicated for cake mix)
- 1 (3 ounce) package red Jell-O
- 1 (3 ounce) package green Jell-O
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- Prepare cake mix using the directions on the cake box.
- Pour the batter into 2 round pans (8 or 9 inch).
- Bake as directed on cake box.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Place cake layers top sides up back into the two clean pans.
- Prick each layer with a utility fork at 1/2 inch intervals.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over red flavor gelatin, stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Spoon over one of the cake layers.
- Do the same with the green Jello.
- Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- Dip the bottom of one pan into warm water for 10 seconds; invert onto a plate, gently shaking to loosen.
- Remove pan; spread with 1 cup of whipped topping,.
- Remove other layer the same way; put on top of first layer.
- Top with remaining whip cream.
- Garnish with gumdrops cut to resemble holly. Use green dye for leaves.