Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another childhood favorite. Now, my kids ask for them!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 30 large marshmallows
- 1⁄4 teaspoon green food coloring
- 4 1⁄2 cups corn flakes (I use gluten-free)
- red cinnamon candies
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepot.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and add green food coloring; stir well.
- Add cereal; stir until evely coated.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper.
- Top each with three red hots (Do this quickly and they'll adhere better).
- Let sit for one hour (if you can).
- Store in covered container laying clusters between sheets of waxed paper.
I can't believe I've found this recipe. I remember living in Southern Illinois and making these with my best friend. I must have been about 9 or 10. Her grandmother helped us. I stuffed my face with these wonderful gems. Now I can make it for my kids. This is the best Christmas Cookie.
I love them! So festive looking. :o)
I made these last Sunday at a friends house. Used a large stainless steel pot to melt the marshmallows and the butter. Big mistake! You need teflon coated nonstick surface. It was hell trying to get the stuff out of the pot to form the clusters. You really need to work fast once you add the corn flakes! I only ended up with about 15 clusters. They did look very festive and they tasted wonderful!