Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The star of the traditional Finnish Christmas dinner. We like to bake our ham overnight, so we can nibble on the fresh-out-of-the-oven ham on the morning of Christmas Eve. Recipe adapted from Maku magazine.
- Preheat oven to 100 - 125°C.
- Rinse ham with cold water and pat dry.
- Put in a roasting bag and cut a small hole on top of the bag. Push a roasting thermometer into the thickest part of the ham.
- Put the ham on the rack in the oven (or a cookie sheet with sides, if you prefer. IF the roasting bag leaks, you may have a big mess in your oven without the sheet!).
- Bake until the thermometer shows the internal temperature of the ham to be 75-80 C (juicy - well done). It will take about 45 - 55 minutes/1 kg (2 lbs).
- Remove the bag carefully: save some of the pan juice for making gravy. Remove the net (if there is one!), skin and as much of the fat as you like.
- Let ham sit for a few hours or to cool completely before coating.
- Preheat oven to 225°C.
- Mix mustard and honey and coat the ham with the mixture. Press dry breadcrumbs on the coating.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until browned.
- Decorate the surface of the ham with cloves.
- Serve with gravy, boiled potatoes, root vegetable casseroles and boiled prunes.
this is a very good and basic christmas ham recipe. i guaranteen this will become a delicious meal. Atleast the finnish people like this and it is a must on the table on cristmas. it is eaven better after it's cold on a rye bread with mustard . mmm... yummy :D