8 hrs 10 mins
The star of the traditional Finnish Christmas dinner. We like to bake our ham overnight, so we can nibble on the fresh-out-of-the-oven ham on the morning of Christmas Eve. Recipe adapted from Maku magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 kg ready-salted boneless ham
- 1Preheat oven to 100 - 125°C.
- 2Rinse ham with cold water and pat dry.
- 3Put in a roasting bag and cut a small hole on top of the bag. Push a roasting thermometer into the thickest part of the ham.
- 4Put the ham on the rack in the oven (or a cookie sheet with sides, if you prefer. IF the roasting bag leaks, you may have a big mess in your oven without the sheet!).
- 5Bake until the thermometer shows the internal temperature of the ham to be 75-80 C (juicy - well done). It will take about 45 - 55 minutes/1 kg (2 lbs).
- 6Remove the bag carefully: save some of the pan juice for making gravy. Remove the net (if there is one!), skin and as much of the fat as you like.
- 7Let ham sit for a few hours or to cool completely before coating.
- 8Preheat oven to 225°C.
- 9Mix mustard and honey and coat the ham with the mixture. Press dry breadcrumbs on the coating.
- 10Bake for about 10 minutes or until browned.
- 11Decorate the surface of the ham with cloves.
- 12Serve with gravy, boiled potatoes, root vegetable casseroles and boiled prunes.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Ham (Joulukinkku)
Serving Size: 1 (679 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 907.3
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 473.3 mg
- Sodium 8170.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 116.7 g