Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Green Bean Casserole with Cranberries for a sweet flavor twist and holiday presentation to an old favorite. I like to prepare the casserole the day before baking, so the cranberries plump up and flavors blend.
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (24 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup of canned French-fried onions
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, slivered (optional)
- Prepare green beans in microwave until tender (approx. 10 minutes). Then drain.
- Mix soup, milk, soy sauce, pepper, onion powder, beans, mushrooms, cranberries and almonds together in a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and stir. Sprinkle French Fried Onions over the top and bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes to desired color.
I had to give this a try for Christmas. I liked the idea of putting the dried cranberries in the traditional green bean casserole, but this just didn't work for me as well as I was hoping for. I think most of the problem was that the amount of milk varied by 1/4 cup from the original recipe which calls for 1/2 cup milk. The casserole was a little dry. Also maybe it was just cooked a little too long as well, since the original recipe also only bakes it for 25 mins , then stir, put onions on top and bake for 5 mins. I may try it again with these changes and see if it helps. Thanks for the idea of adding the cranberries and the slivered almonds anyway! Tweeky