4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Step by step goose recipe was originally printed in Bon Appetit (December 1983)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove neck and giblets from goose.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Trim extra fat from neck and tail.
- 4Rub inside and out with salt and pepper.
- 5Add 1 thyme sprig, 1 parsley sprig, 4 apple quarters, 4 onion quarters and 4 celery pieces to cavity.
- 6Repeat with remaining apples, onions, celery, thyme and parsley.
- 7Skewer cavity closed and lace tightly.
- 8Fold wings against back.
- 9Preheat oven to 500-degrees F.
- 10Set goose in pan breast side down.
- 11Prick skin well.
- 12Roast 30 minutes.
- 13Reduce oven temp to 400-degrees F.
- 14and continue roasting for 30 minutes.
- 15Turn goose over; prick again.
- 16Roast 1 hour.
- 17While goose is cooking, bring neck, giblets and 3 cups of water to simmer over medium low heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove liver and set aside. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 1 1/2 hours. Drain. Set giblets aside. Discard neck.
- 18Pour drippings from goose and set aside.
- 19Prick again.
- 20Pour 2 cups water in pan.
- 21Continue cooking for 1- 1/2 hours.
- 22Pour drippings from pan and set aside.
- 23Let goose stand 20-30 minutes.
- 24While goose is resting, chop liver and giblets.
- 25Skim 6 TB fat from drippings and heat in pan over low heat.
- 26Stir in 3 TB flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- 27Degrease drippings and add to broth.
- 28Add enough beef broth to equal 3 cups.
- 29Add to pan.
- 30Increase heat to med.
- 31high and cook until thick.
- 32Blend in chopped giblets and liver.
- 33Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 34Cook over low heat.
- 35Remove trusing thread and pins from goose.
- 36Throw away stuffing.
Browse Our Top Goose Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Goose
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 784.0
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 213.8 mg
- Sodium 468.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 60.3 g