Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Traditional Finnish hot Christmas drink.
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- 2 -3 tablespoons madeira wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 -2 cinnamon stick
- 5 -6 whole cloves
- 1 orange, rind of
- 1⁄4 cup blanched slivered almond (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup vodka, to spike it up (optional)
- In a large kettle, combine all the ingredients except the vodka. Heat slowly, until the drink is steaming hot. Stir every now and then, and taste with a spoon whenever you feel like it. Do not let the drink boil, just keep it warm. Before serving, add vodka if you wish. Servings: 1 to 6.