Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found the recipe in an old cookie book and tweeked the recipe to my liking. My family ate them before I could even have time to arrange and take pictures! Next batch will be a solo act to be sure. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 1⁄3 cup soft shortening (not butter)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- candied ginger
- candied cherry
- Mix shortening, brown sugar & molasses together thoroughly and stir in the 1/2 cup cold water.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together and stir into the creamed sugar/shortening/molasses mixture.
- Dissolve the baking soda into the 3 TBS. water and stir into the cookie batter (make sure to mix well but not overbeat).
- Chill dough for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Break dough apart into fourths (for easier handling).
- Roll out on floured surface and cut out with your favorite Ginger Man cookie cutter.
- Transfer to lightly greased cookie sheet and decorate with raisins for the eyes & nose, ginger or cherries for the buttons.
- Bake 15-18 minutes (remember to leave plenty of room for they puff up!).
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on rack.
- Decorate with your favorite cookie frosting.