Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found the recipe in an old cookie book and tweeked the recipe to my liking. My family ate them before I could even have time to arrange and take pictures! Next batch will be a solo act to be sure. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 1⁄3 cup soft shortening (not butter)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- candied ginger
- candied cherry
- Mix shortening, brown sugar & molasses together thoroughly and stir in the 1/2 cup cold water.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together and stir into the creamed sugar/shortening/molasses mixture.
- Dissolve the baking soda into the 3 TBS. water and stir into the cookie batter (make sure to mix well but not overbeat).
- Chill dough for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Break dough apart into fourths (for easier handling).
- Roll out on floured surface and cut out with your favorite Ginger Man cookie cutter.
- Transfer to lightly greased cookie sheet and decorate with raisins for the eyes & nose, ginger or cherries for the buttons.
- Bake 15-18 minutes (remember to leave plenty of room for they puff up!).
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on rack.
- Decorate with your favorite cookie frosting.