- 125 g unsalted butter
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 125 g black treacle
- 400 g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the sugar and butter until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg and treacle.
- Sift the flour and spice into the bowl and mix all ingredients together to form a firm dough.
- Knead lightly and chill for 30 minutes.
- Grease two baking sheets.
- Roll out dough to a thickness of 8mm and cut out star or any shapes you like using a biscuit cutter.
- Transfer the shapes to the baking sheet, spacing them slightly apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven 180°C, gas mark 4 for 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool for serving.