Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This recipe came from my aunt who made this and another fudge for years at Christmas and it is my husband's favorite. It has candied cherries in it and looks so pretty. It has a butterscotch flavor and is very, very tasty. It is so pretty on a candy tray at Christmas. It makes 5 pounds of fudge. Please read the NOTE in the directions about stirring constantly.
Top Review by Merlot
I took this to Church to pass around during a meeting we had. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. We are going to have a fund raiser to help some families in the area who are down on their luck and everyone agreed this fudge will be added to the list of goodies that we will sell. Thanks so much for sharing, Mimi in Maine.
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (13 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 (12 ounce) bags butterscotch chips
- 1 cup candied cherry (cut up)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large 4-quart saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat till blended.
- Bring to a boil stirring CONSTANTLY (if you don't do this over a medium heat and stir constantly, the stuff will burn on and you don't want that in a light fudge); don't mistake the escaping air bubbles for boiling.
- Continue boiling for 5 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients until the butterscotch bits are melted.
- Put into a buttered 9x13 pan or a little larger if you want.
- Makes 5 lbs. fudge.