Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A new Christmas tradition in our house.
- 1⁄2 kg panettone (1 lb 1.6 oz)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup eggnog
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to its lowest setting (mine is 170F). Slice a very thin slice off the bottom of the panettone, and slice off the dome of the top (cook's treat!). Cut crosswise into 4 round slices. Place on a rack set into a baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes, until dry.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla and brandy. (If you like your French toast especially sweet and rich, you can substitute eggnog for the cream.).
- Melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Dip two slices of panettone in the custard, letting each side soak for a minute or two. Place in the hot pan and fry until golden brown on both sides and firm to the touch, 3-4 minutes per side. Place on baking sheet (without the rack) and place in oven to keep warm while making the other two slices.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve hot with maple syrup or jam.