2 hrs 30 mins
Mimi in Maine's Note:
This is a different version of the regular Focaccia (which I love). It is pretty and very festive. Mixed fruit can be substituted for the candied cherries. I just like the red color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup warm water (120 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 -3 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup candied cherry (chopped)
- 1/3 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dried currants or 1/4 cup raisins
- 1In a large bowl combine warm water and oil.
- 2Add 1 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, yeast, salt, lemon peel, and cinnamon; beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- 3By hand, stir in cherries, walnuts, currants, and 1 1/2 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
- 4Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place till double--45-60 minutes.
- 5Grease a cookie sheet.
- 6Remove dough and place on cookie sheet and with greased hands, gently knead and stretch and press dough to form a 12" round circle.
- 7Brush with melted butter and prick several times with a fork.
- 8Cover and let rise in warm place till light and double--about 40-50 minutes.
- 9Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 10Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes or till golden.
- 11Remove and place on platter or serving tray; cool for 10 min and cut into wedges.
- 12Serve warm with a nice cream cheese spread or a lemon butter spread.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Focaccia
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.2
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 202.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: