Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a different version of the regular Focaccia (which I love). It is pretty and very festive. Mixed fruit can be substituted for the candied cherries. I just like the red color.
- 1 cup warm water (120 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup candied cherry (chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup dried currants or 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl combine warm water and oil.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, yeast, salt, lemon peel, and cinnamon; beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, stir in cherries, walnuts, currants, and 1 1/2 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place till double--45-60 minutes.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Remove dough and place on cookie sheet and with greased hands, gently knead and stretch and press dough to form a 12" round circle.
- Brush with melted butter and prick several times with a fork.
- Cover and let rise in warm place till light and double--about 40-50 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes or till golden.
- Remove and place on platter or serving tray; cool for 10 min and cut into wedges.
- Serve warm with a nice cream cheese spread or a lemon butter spread.