Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this after going to make Thanksgiving Cranberry Fig Jam realizing I didn't have any cranberries I went for the frozen cherries added a cinnamon stick. And voila this creation. Top Christmas toast or a croissant with this jam or serve along side a roast pork or turkey. Do use firm figs if to ripe the jam won't set up.
- 2 lbs figs, washed and halved
- 1 lb frozen cherries
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1⁄3 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut oil or 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (3 ounce) envelopes liquid pectin
- Bring a boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Enough water to cover the jars by 1-2 inches. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Or dishwasher and keep hot. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
- Pulse figs, cherries and orange keeping the fruit chunky. Pour fruit into 6- or 8-qt. sauce pot. Add lemon juice, sugars; stir. Add coconut oil or butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Add vanilla. Stir in pectin. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minute Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.).
- Sealed jars can be store up to one year in a cool dark pantry.
- Unsealed store in refrigerator up to 1 month.
- Altitude times:.
- 1,000-3,000 5 minutes.
- 3,001-6,000 10 minutes.
- 6,001-8,000 15 minutes.
- 8,001-10,000 20 minutes.