Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a traditional meatless pasta recipe. If you like anchovies and crisp bread crumbs, try this one.
- 1 lb thin spaghetti (not angel hair)
- 2 (2 ounce) cansflat anchovies
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Bring water to a boil for the spaghetti. Cook till al dente.
- Meantime, heat a heavy skillet (cast iron)and saute the bread crumbs till golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Heat oils till very warm. Add the anchovies to the warm oil. Turn up the heat and simmer till the anchovies disintegrate.
- Drain the spaghetti but leave very wet.
- Pour the oil/anchovy mixture over and toss.
- Sprinkle with the browned bread crumbs.
- My kids used to call this "dirty worms".
This is a traditional Italian weeknight supper when you are in a pinch for ingredients or in a hurry. I always have these ingredients on hand. However I have never made it with the additional Canola oil. It was way too oily. Sorry but I will stick to my way with just a cup of Olive oil and lots of grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
This was YUM! My 10 yr. old daughter (who is a seafood lover) found a can of anchovies in our pantry that we got as part of a white elephant gift! I've never cooked with anchovies before so when she begged me to make something with it, I found this recipe and we had all the ingredients! We tried it and we both loved it! It's a keeper! Thanks!
Great traditional recipe, I am Sicilian and have made this the same way since moving here to the states. However I do not use breadcrumbs as you did BUT I surly will give it a try tonight on this Christmas eve. Also I will stay away from the Canola oil addition in your recipe, I agree with Bee on that one, I believe that this would make the dish too oily.