Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe has been passed down the generations in our family. We usually have it every year on Christmas Eve. Since it's so rich we only serve it with ice water to drink and a simple salad. Delicious and very satisfying.
- 1 gallon 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 15 ounces oysters, with their juice
- celery salt
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces oyster crackers
- Add milk, butter and oysters with their juice to a double boiler or a large pot that fits inside of another pot. Fill the bottom pot as full of water as you can without it running over.
- Add a little celery salt, salt and pepper and then heat on low. Cook very slowy so the milk won't boil (I start at 1 pm. for dinner at 6 pm). Every now and then stir. After a few hours, do a taste test to adjust seasonings.
- Serve with oyster crackers.
This is the same oyster stew that my family has on Christmas Eve! There are less and less people who like oysters, though. I hope we don't drop the tradition.