Recipe by StrikingEyes00
My mom gave me her recipe and I changed it up a bit to make it healthier (and it tasted even more awesome!). She uses a dozen whole eggs, a loaf of white bread, pork sausage or bacon, and regular cheddar cheese. See below for my changes... I made this ahead on Christmas Eve and baked in the morning while we were opening presents. It started to smell so good and by the time we had finished opening presents, it was done! This will be our new tradition!!
- 1 loaf of organic honey oat bread, cubed
- 5 spicy Italian turkey sausage links, browned
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 18 egg whites
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cube the bread and lay in a 8x12 glass Pyrex.
- Brown the sausage (out of the casing) and layer on top of bread.
- Next layer the onion and then the cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the layers of bread, sausage, onions, and cheese.
- Bake in oven for 50 minutes.