Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Try this one out for size this holiday season, or anytime really. My oh my, what a delicious dessert this is! I love mine with French Vanilla ice cream on top!
- 1 (16 ounce) can cranberry sauce, whole
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped or 1⁄2 cup granola cereal
- Heat oven to 325.
- Dump cranberry sauce into an ungreased 9 x 13" pan and spread around the pan as well as you can.
- Dump Apple Pie filling into pan. Spread mixture evenly over cranberry sauce then "sift" dry cake mix on top.
- Cut up butter and dot top of cake.
- Sprinkle nuts or granola on top of cake.
- Bake 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes, then cut into squares.
- Serve with Cool Whip or ice cream.
This one was my personal favorite out of all the dump cakes I made for My 3 Chefs. Because the first dump cake I made had too much dry cake mix left on top, I decided to sprinkle some unsweetened applesauce on top before sprinkling on the nuts (I used about 3/4 cup but next time I think I will cut it down to 1/2 cup of applesauce). I also used Pillsbury's sugar-free yellow cake mix and the nuts I used were walnuts. I had to cook the cake for about 20 minutes longer because of the applesauce. The cake was moist and super flavorful. I loved the combination of cranberries, apples and walnuts. Everyone at work said that this cake definitely deserved 5 stars. Made for My 3 Chefs October 2013.