A fabulous wilted salad boasting the rich, festive colours of vibrant crimson reds and lush holly greens, as well as being full of flavour - this is simply a wonderful salad for the Christmas, New Year or Thanksgiving family table. Please do use any blue cheese or ham of your choice; Stilton or Roquefort would be lovely as well as Prosciutto or Bayonne ham.......and, if you are serving any vegetarians, just leave the ham out of the equation! The dressing can be made up a few hours or a day beforehand, just wilt the leaves and assemble the salad right before serving. Serve this salad with crusty rolls or some thinly sliced rye bread and a glass of chilled Rosé or Chardonnay.
- 250 g radicchio chicory lettuce (red endive leaves)
- 250 g savoy cabbage (the green leaves)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g gorgonzola, cubed
- 300 g parma ham, shredded
- 50 g olives (black or green)
- 100 g pomegranate seeds (from one or two pomegranates)
- 100 g rocket (arugula)
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 50 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash and trim the radicchio and Savoy cabbage leaves, and remove the chunkier stems and centre stem of the Savoy cabbage. Then cut or tear the leaves into even sized strips. Heat the olive oil in a large wok or frying pan. Wilt the leaves in the olive oil - just for a few minutes so the leaves are still crunchy but warm.
- Lay the wilted leaves out on a large platter or individual plates and top with the gorgonzola cheese cubes, Parma ham slices (which have been shredded) and the olives.
- Scatter the rocket (arugula) leaves over the top and then scatter the pomegranate seeds over before adding the dressing. Serve immediately.