Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve these bite-size gems when family and friends drop in during the holidays, or box them up to give as gifts with hot cocoa mix, tea or winter blend coffee. This recipe comes from the "Southern Living Little Book of Mini Muffins & More..." NOTE: Preparation time includes 1-hour chill time for dough.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cranberries (I used the dried sweetened ones)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add flour, beating well.
- Cover and chill dough 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 24 (1-inch) balls. Press 1 dough ball into each lightly greased cup of miniature muffin pans, shaping each into a shell.
- Combine egg and next 3 ingredients; stir in cranberries and pecans.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon mixture into each shell.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes or until filling is set.
- Remove from pans immediately, and let cool completely on wire racks.
I just noticed I never rated these! Made them at a pre-Christmas family bake-off, and they were a hit. Not overly sweet, seemed to appeal more to adult tastes, but a perfect compliment to the standard sweet cookies in a holiday gift box.
Wonderful and unusual treat! I also followed Starrynews suggestion and reduced sugar due to using dried cranberries. I made a few without the addition of pecans and cranberries - they were really good as well. Made for Sweet Traditions.
OUTSTANDING TREATS, these, & definitely something I'll be making a number of times during the up-coming winter holidays! I took tips from Starry news & reduced the amount of sugar when I used dried cranberries, & then I also included a very rounded measure of the orange zest! Great, great recipe keeper, thanks to you! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]