Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
It is a tradition in our house to make these with my daughters every year. This is the perfect iced cookie recipe for any time of year with other seasonal cookie cutters. But these are the cookies my girls leave for Santa on Christmas Eve! My DD#3 says, "Prepare to have a fun time if you make these!"
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (half of this 3/4 cup should be butter or margarine, and the other half shortening, this is very im)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup soft margarine (sticks)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- various food coloring
- Mix all cookie ingredients.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hours.
- Roll dough out on well floured surface.
- Cut out with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes, until pale golden brown on edges. Do not overbake.
- Allow cookies to cool on rack or plate.
- Combine icing ingredients except food coloring.
- Separate the icing into small bowls according to the number of colored icings you want.
- Add food colorings to each bowl.
- Ice and decorate cookies as desired.
Made these for Christmas and forgot to review the recipe. These are some of the best cookies that I have ever had!
These are great! I like the amount of sweetness for these cookies , and they are .. how do I put it ... a 'sturdier' sugar cookie for decorating. Not meant in a bad way at all! I put them on 2 Christmas trays and they were VERY well received!! I can't believe I forgot to take a photo :( Next time!!!!! :) Thanks for submitting a great sugar cookie recipe!! :)