Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Great stocking stuffer! Yummy, and festive.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 10 drops liquid green food coloring
- 4 ounces red nonpareils
- 4 ounces green nonpareils
- Beat butter, baking soda, salt, sugar and eggs in a large bowl with a mixer on medium until creamy. On low speed, beat in 2 cups of flour until just blended.
- Remove 1 1/2 C dough to a medium bowl; stir in vanilla and cocoa until no white streaks remain.
- Stir peppermint extract and remaining 1/2 cup flour into plain dough. Add about 10 drops of food color. Beat until no white streaks remain. Cover doughs and refrigerate 30 minutes, until firm.
- Roll chocolate dough into fat log. Divide into quarters. Working with 1 portion at a time (wrap and refrigerate rest) roll into 3/4-inch-thick rope. Spread red nonpareils on a sheet of wax paper. Roll rope into nonpareils to coat; wrap rope in foil. Repeat with remaining chocolate dough, then the green dough and green nonpareils.
- Place ropes on a cookie sheet; refrigerate at least 2 hours, or until firm enough to slice neatly.
- Heat oven to 350°F Have ungreased baking sheets ready.
- Slice 1 rope at a time into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Place 1 inch apart and bake 8-10 minutes until done.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.