Prep 20 mins
Cook 816 hrs
Making your own Yule logs is part of the fun of an old fashioned Christmas. Be careful that your children stay away from the coloring chemicals they can be harmful. Yule logs make a nice gift too just wrap them in Christmas wrapping paper. Only use newsprint not the shiny paper as it does not absorb as quickly
- 2 lbs coarse salt
- 2 lbs bluestone
- 2 gallons boiling water
any of the following chemicals depending on what color of flame you want
- 1 ounce strontium nitrate (red flame)
- 1 ounce bismuth nitrate (crimson flame)
- 1 ounce antimony chloride (blue flame)
- 1 ounce barium chloride (green flame) or 1 ounce borax (green flame)
- 1 ounce potassium chloride (purple flame)
- Tightly roll and tie newspapers about the size of a presto log (composite wood log).
- Mix the ingredients in a bucket and put rolled newspapers (you can tie the rolled papers with string) in the bucket and let them soak until all the fluid has been absorbed Dry on a rack (they take about a month to dry).
- If you wish a three colored flame just mix salt, bluestone and 1 lb of borax.
- Buy bluestone in a paint store, Borax& salt from a grocery store and the chemicals from your drugstore or some would be available from a feed store.