Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found online; posting for ZWT 7-South America (Guyana).
- 2⁄3 lb margarine
- 1⁄3 lb lard
- 6 ounces sugar
- 1 lb flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 coconut (peeled & grated)
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Cook coconut, sugar and water until mixture thickens; set aside to cool Beat fat and sugar until light.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Beat eggs, salt, milk and vanilla together.
- Add flour and liquid alternately until a soft dough is formed. Put together with fingers to a smooth roll.
- Turn out on to a floured board and roll with floured rolling pin about ¼” thick
- Line 2 pie plates and spread cooled coconut filling over pastry.
- Decorate top with pastry strips as desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees until set and slightly browned.
- Note: the filling can also be pineapple, guava or guavaberry.