Recipe by VillageMom
This is a great recipe for a christmas cookie. I make it every year for the family. My kids like the chocolate chips while the grownups prefer the maraschino cherries and coconut.
Top Review by Corn Maiden
I made these for Christmas and really enjoyed them. I read the reviews and used 2/3 chocolate chips and 1/3 white chips. I'm glad I did because I think otherwise the chocolate would have overpowered the cherries. I also used part shortening and part butter. I will be making these again for the Holidays
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until well blended.
- Add eggs and almond extract, beating on medium speed until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture gradually, beating on low speed just until blended. Fold in chips, coconut and cherries.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.