Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is perfect to serve at the holidays, it has a beautiful red color and makes a lovely presentation that will light up any holiday table --- plan ahead, this dessert needs to be chilled for 3 or more hours, prep time includes chilling time -- make this low fat by using low fat milk and reduced fat Cool Whip and pudding mix :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 (6 ounce) packagejell-o brand cherry gelatin
- sugar (optional)
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 4 cups angel food cake, sliced into cubes (or can use pound cake, about half a cake)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold half-and-half cream
- 1 (4 ounce) packagejell-o vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 (8 ounce) containercool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Stir boiling water into gelatin in a large bowl at least 2 minutes, until completely dissolved (can add sugar for a sweeter taste if desired).
- Stir in the ice cubes until melted.
- Add in the cherry pie filling; stir to combine.
- Place all the cake cubes in a 3-qt serving bowl or large glass trifle dish.
- Spoon the gelatin mixture over cake.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes, or until set but not firm.
- Pour the 1-1/2 cups half and half cream into large bowl; add pudding mix; whisk for about 1 minute.
- Gently stir in 1/2 of the whipped topping.
- Spoon over gelatin mixture in a bowl.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or until set.
- Garnish with remaining whipped topping.
I made this for my Bunco ladies - many compliments on presentation and taste! I will make this again.
I made this about a year ago and never rated it. At the time I took it to work and the girls loved it. Had to get busy yesterday and find the recipe because one of the co-workers wanted this specifically for her birthday desert!! Great recipe. Thanks