1/2 Photos of Christmas Cheer (Or Any Time of Year) Cheese & Shrimp Spread
This is another recipe from the Tasty Holiday Gifts cookbook SusieQusie spied for me on the bargain table at Half Price Bookstore in Dallas last month. It was on sale for $1 & we had a 15% off coupon, so it was an $.85 wonder! I modified their recipe to include shrimp + green & red peppers & then also added chili sauce for its flavor & color, but you can leave the latter out if you prefer. It was pictured in the book as a molded star shape, but I do not have one & have suggested alternatives below. I hope you enjoy this during the holidays, but it would be just as good during the rest of the year.
My Private Note
3 oz se ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (about 10 oz, finely shredded)
- 1 (12 ounce) carton cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans shrimp (deveined, drained & finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 tablespoons chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons green peppers (finely diced)
- 4 tablespoons red peppers (finely diced)
- 1Use your food processor or immersion blender to combine all ingredients (except the shrimp & diced peppers) till the mixture is smooth.
- 2Then, stir in the diced shrimp & peppers.
- 3Decide your presentation, prepare for it accordingly & chill for at least 1 hr before removing to garnish as desired & serve (with crackers, bread or choice of vegetables/crudites).
- 4Presentation #1: Use the Christmas mold of your choice or bowl and line with plastic wrap.
- 5Form into a log or ball wrapped in plastic wrap - Use a 1-qt round tube mold lined w/plastic wrap (meant to resemble a holiday wreath).
- 6Presentation #2: Prepare as bread or tortilla pinwheels and chill as directed above.
- 7In Iceland, bread pinwheels are called brauðterta. They are very popular & are made w/an already cooked, flattened & rolled bread product from the freezer section.
- 8It has a durable plastic sheet w/it to help you get a compact roll after you apply the filling.
- 9I do not believe this product is available in the U.S., but I suppose you could get creative & make your own.
- 10To Garnish: The recipe suggested using a combination of finely diced green & red peppers, cucumber, pimento or parsley.
- 11I happen to think that plumped dried cranberries would be good for this & even added to the shrimp & cheese mix.
- 12Bottom line: Use whatever suits your fancy to create your own desired holiday look.
- 13Regarding pictures: I posted pictures of the brauðterta & tortilla version as it is a little late to go for a holiday look. In the tortilla pic, I made a stacker & cut wedges. I also got 7 2" tortilla rounds from each 8" tortilla using my cookie cutter.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Cheer (Or Any Time of Year) Cheese & Shrimp Spread
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.8
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 617.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 16.2 g