Cook1 hr 30 mins
There are many kinds of breakfast egg casseroles, but for my children, this is the one that makes Christmas Christmas. I make it the day before and the first person up on Christmas morning pops it in the oven. Prep time does not include the overnight in the refrigerator which is necessary.
- Cut crusts off loaf of bread.
- Cut bread into half inch cubes.
- Note: I have used a Pepperidge Farms type loaf or have made my own bread such as an oatmeal white bread.
- Melt butter in a bowl and toss bread cubes to coat.
- Grease a 9" x 13" glass casserole dish.
- Layer bread cubes, grated cheese, mushrooms, ham, etc. in dish.
- Combine the eggs, milk salt and pepper and beat.
- Pour over casserole.
- Cover with foil and let set overnight in the refrigerator so bread absorbs some of the egg mixture.
- To bake, place casserole in larger pan with 1 inch hot water.
- Bake, at 375 degrees (350 convection) for 1 1/2 hours or until silver knife inserted in center comes out clean. I start the baking with the foil on, then uncover for the last half hour.
- Casserole can be cooked without the water bath, but the sides will be a little crustier. It also bakes faster this way.