1/1 Photo of Christmas Carrot Pudding
3 hrs 30 mins
Gumboot Gourmet's Note:
This is a traditional English steamed pudding, which I serve with Egg Nog Sauce. DH could care less about Christmas anything, except this. If I don't make this, I may as well pack my bags ... :) This is his dear Mom's recipe, just as she wrote it, I don't dare change it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour over fruit & mix, set aside.
- 2Grate carrot & potato, set aside.
- 3Cream sugar & butter, add egg & beat.
- 4Add carrot & 1/2 of potato.
- 5Mix well & add remaining flour & spices.
- 6Dissolve baking soda in remaining 1/2 of potato.
- 7Add to pudding & mix lightly.
- 8Add floured fruit & mix lightly.
- 9Add rum or brandy if using.
- 10Pour into large buttered pudding bowl.
- 11Cover with greased parchment or waxed paper.
- 12Cover with clean cotton cloth, tied down.
- 13This recipe makes 1 large & 1 small pudding. You can make 2 medium puddings.
- 14Steam on stovetop for three hours, watching water level.
- 15Water should not come more than halfway up the bowl.
- 16At this point you can either serve it, refrigerate for a few days or put in the freezer.
- 17I try to make mine about a month ahead, put in the freezer, take it out the day before you want it, thaw in fridge.
- 18Steam for one hour before serving.
- 19Serve with egg nog sauce, or your favorite hard sauce.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Carrot Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.8
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 259.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: