This is a traditional English steamed pudding, which I serve with Egg Nog Sauce. DH could care less about Christmas anything, except this. If I don't make this, I may as well pack my bags ... :) This is his dear Mom's recipe, just as she wrote it, I don't dare change it!
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour over fruit & mix, set aside.
- Grate carrot & potato, set aside.
- Cream sugar & butter, add egg & beat.
- Add carrot & 1/2 of potato.
- Mix well & add remaining flour & spices.
- Dissolve baking soda in remaining 1/2 of potato.
- Add to pudding & mix lightly.
- Add floured fruit & mix lightly.
- Add rum or brandy if using.
- Pour into large buttered pudding bowl.
- Cover with greased parchment or waxed paper.
- Cover with clean cotton cloth, tied down.
- This recipe makes 1 large & 1 small pudding. You can make 2 medium puddings.
- Steam on stovetop for three hours, watching water level.
- Water should not come more than halfway up the bowl.
- At this point you can either serve it, refrigerate for a few days or put in the freezer.
- I try to make mine about a month ahead, put in the freezer, take it out the day before you want it, thaw in fridge.
- Steam for one hour before serving.
- Serve with egg nog sauce, or your favorite hard sauce.