Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a favourite on the Christmas table and there is never anything left. Found this in an Australian published Christmas recipe book.
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 750 ml milk
- 150 ml creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 175 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons ready-made pesto sauce
- 675 g carrots, grated
- 225 g no pre-cooked lasagna sheets
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped parsley (to garnish)
- vegetables, to brush
- green salad, to serve
- Brush a 30 x 20cm/ 12 x 8 inch ovenproof dish with oil.
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Add the flour and stir over a low heat until the mixture is lightly golden and bubbling.
- Mix together the milk, creme fraiche and peppercorns and gradually add to the pan, stirring between each addition until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir constantly over a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Boil for a further minute, then remove from heat.
- Stir in 115g/ 4oz of the cheese and let cool slightly.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, stirring constantly.
- Pour a third of the sauce into another bowl to make the topping and set aside.
- Add the pesto and grated carrot to the remaining sauce, stirring to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 150 C/ 300F.
- Beginning with one-third of the carrot mixture, make alternate layers of carrot mixture and lasagne in the prepared dish.
- Use three layers of each, finishing with lasagne sheets.
- Spread the reserved sauce evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.
- Set aside for 15 minutes before cooking to allow the pasta to soften.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the sauce has set and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the lasagne from the oven, cover and let stand for 15 minutes- this will ensure that it will slice cleanly and easily.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with fresh crisp salad.