Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
Another Danish/Scandinavian recipe. Cardamom is in the ginger family and has a pungent flavor. These cookies will disappear quickly (Unless you don't like cardamom!)
- Heat oven to 375°F, oven rack in center of oven.
- Grease a heavy cookie sheet (use a veggie oil).
- Combine salt (if using) and flour in a bowl.
- Cream Butter sugar and 2 tsp of cardamom until fluffy.
- Add flour and beat at low speed.
- Stir in 1/2 cup almonds.
- Combine powdered sugar and remaining cardamom.
- Roll dough into 1 Tbsp balls one at a time.
- Roll each in the powdered sugar mixture, coat well.
- Place on cookie sheet and with the bottom of a small glass, dipped in the sugar, press the cookie to 1/2" thickness. Press a couple of almond slices into each cookie (use more if you like).
- Have cookies at least a 1/2" apart.
- Bake about 14 minutes or until they are light brown.
- Cool on a rack.
- Put in airtight container.
- You can freeze and they will keep at least a couple of months.
These cookies were totally delicious and so simple to make. I used egg wash on the almonds before putting them on top so they'd stick. My favorite arrangement was just a bunch of broken almond slices. I also tried mini chocolate chips. Thank you Bergy for helping me with my Chrismas cookie assortment this year!
Just made these cookies, haven't even taken them out of the oven but I can say that even with extra butter the dough was too dry and crumbly.
I love Cardamom and hoped these cookies would melt in your mouth. The batter was so dry, I could barely roll the dough a fragile ball. When I tried to flatten them with a glass; they turned into crumbs. Disappointing!