Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my favorite gift to give during the holidays. (When I give it away in holiday tins the tins keep coming back for refills =) This makes a large batch...enough to fill 5-6 one-gallon storage bags.
- 1 cup white popcorn
- 2 cups margarine (1 lbs)
- 4 cups light brown sugar (2 lbs)
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (pure)
- 2 lbs mixed nuts (optional)
- Pop corn and place in large shallow baking pans.
- (I use an air popper) Preheat oven to 225- 250 F In a large pot, melt butter and stir in brown sugar.
- (pot must be large enough for that when the mixture boils it has room to double when you add the baking soda) Add salt and syrup and over medium heat stir until the mixture come to a rolling boil.
- Boil five minutes without stirring.
- Add vanilla and baking soda.
- Stir with a long handled wooden spoon until mixture doubles and the soda is evenly distributed Remove from heat and immediately pour over popcorn distributing caramel mixture evenly.
- Stir and bake for 45 minutes stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately turn corn out on a clean work surface Cool and break up.
- Add mixed nuts and package in air-tight containers.
Just have to comment, because this is so similar to our family's recipe! My mom always made it for Halloween -- my absolute favorite treat growing up (and still is!). My mom still has the original recipe clipped from the newspaper in the 60's or 70's. We don't add nuts and we bake it in a big buttered, covered roaster pan for 30-45 minutes. Mmm. So good!
I made this and it was just like my grandmas! Thanks so much for posting this.