Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A wonderful Christmas holiday dessert that can be served cold from the refrigerator or frozen! To serve cut into squares then top each serving with a small candy cane if desired. To crush the candies place in resealable plastic food bag and pound with a rolling pin or meat mallet, make sure that you don't pulverize the candy in fine pieces, the candies must be coarsely chopped. If you are serving this for a large gathering then prepare two. These can also be made in 3 or 4-inch individual foil tart shells instead of the 13 x9-inch baking pan if desired. Children of all ages will enjoy this dessert!
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (finely crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (can use less if desired)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipped cream (measure out 1-1/2 cups after whipping)
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped candy cane (or can use hard crushed peppermint candies)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- For the crust; combine all ingredients then press into bottom of the baking pan.
- For the ganache; melt the chocolate chips with 2/3 cup whipping cream in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until smooth (this should take about 4-5 minutes).
- Pour the ganache over the crust in the pan.
- Place in freezer while making the filling (at least 15 minutes).
- For the filling; in a bowl combine the powdered sugar with cream cheese and peppermint extract; beat at low speed until smooth and creamy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in 1-1/2 cups whipped cream; stir gently stir using a wooden spoon or spatula until combined.
- Gently stir in crushed candy.
- Spread over the cold ganache mixture.
- Cover and freeze a minimum of 5 hours or overnight.