Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
An interesting use for left over Christmas Cake. From Gourmet Magazine's December 1985 issue. This is an excellent dessert to serve for a Boxing Day dinner.
- 2 cups fruitcake, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons dark rum (or to taste)
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- candied fruit, for garnish if desired (optional)
- In a bowl, toss the fruitcake in the rum and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- In each of six 6-ounce parfait glasses, make layers of the softened ice cream and the fruitcake mixture, beginning with a layer of ice cream and ending with a layer of fruitcake.
- Freeze the filled parfait glasses, covering loosely, for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours. (Note: If freezing for longer than 2 hours, let the parfaits stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes to soften slightly before serving.
- Just before serving, in a chilled bowl, beat the cream until it just holds stiff peaks, transfer it to a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip and pipe it onto the parfaits.
- Garnish the parfaits with candied fruit, if desired.
So easy--and so delicious! Used my recipe for Recipe #408119 instead of fruitcake, and decorated with glacee cherries. Everybody loved it.