Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Australian BH&G Diabetic Living. Have not allowed overnight marination timing of the fruit or overnight cooling down time in the times given.
- 500 g dried fruit (mixed and finely chopped)
- 100 g glace cherries (finely chopped)
- 125 ml brandy (1/2 cup)
- cooking spray
- 3 eggs (50 grams each)
- 140 g puree (apple)
- 160 g cherry fruit spread (1 cup no added sugar)
- 160 g self-raising flour (wholemeal 1 cup)
- 40 g plain flour (wholemeal 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 24 almonds (blanched)
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar (to dust optional)
- Put the dried fruit, cherries and brandy in a large bowl and stir well to combine and set aside overnight to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 140C (fan forced) or 150C conventional.
- Spray a 18cm (base measurement) square cake pan with cooking spray and then line base and sides with 2 layers of baking/parchment paper, allowing paper to reach 5 cm above the top.
- Place oven rack so top of pan is positioned in the centre of the oven.
- Put eggs , apple puree and spread in a medium bowl and whisk well together and then add to the fruit mixture and mix until well combined.
- Sift flours, cocoa powder, mixed spice and cinnamon into a small bowl, returning any husks from the sieve to the bowl.
- Add flour mixture to the fruit mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared cake pan pressing firmly into corners with the back of a spoon and smooth surface.
- Drop or tap cake pan onto the bench a few times to settle the mix and then push almonds lightly into the top of the cake in the pattern of your choice.
- Cover the cake pan with a piece of foil and bake for 1 hour, remove the foil and bake for a further 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is firm to the touch in the middle.
- Trim the overhanging baking paper and then wrap cake , still in the cake pan in 2 clean tea towels to keep it moist as it cools.
- Set aside overnight to cool completely.
- Remove from pan and dust with icing sugar if you like to serve.
- You can chop the fruit in a food processor, using the pulse button.
- This cake will keep for up to 1 month in an airtight container.