Recipe by Leta
It takes 3 days, but it is worth the wait. Moist, served cold. Looks great on a holiday table. (Cook time listed below is actually chill time.)From Southern Living Magazine
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix (butter flavor preferred)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup butter (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen coconut, thawed (Do not substitute dried flaked coconut. It must be frozen or filling will not have proper consistenc)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions for 2 8 or 9" round layers.
- Turn out and cool completely.
- Split each into two layers, for a total of four layers.
- Combine sugar, sour cream and coconut, stirring until well blended; chill.
- Reserve 1 cup of sour cream mixture for frosting.
- Spread remainder between the four cake layers.
- (Do not overfill or layers will slide.) Combine reserved sour cream mixture with whipped topping, blend well.
- Frost sides and top of cake with whipped topping mixture.
- Seal cake in an airtight container and place in refrigerator for 3 days before serving.