Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are my Nana's recipes. As English, well, as English as my nan herself.
- 4 ounces self-raising flour
- 4 ounces plain flour
- 6 ounces sugar
- 6 ounces margarine or 6 ounces butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 ounce almonds, chopped
- 8 ounces mixed currants, sultanas & raisins
- 2 ounces candied peel
- 2 tablespoons marmalade
- Preheat oven to 300F (Gas Mark 2) and lightly grease 8" cake pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Stir in flour, grated lemon and orange rind, and mixed spice.
- Fold in almonds, and mixed fruits.
- Bake for approximately 3 hours.
- Remove when done and cool on a rack.
- Turn out of pan and glaze top with marmalade.
Very tasty indeed. I like adding orand & lemon peels to my cakes. Nan had a great one here.
great recipe its delicious