Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
this is the best i've ever had the pleasure to eat
fruit and spice ingredients
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 3 tablespoons cherry brandy
- 3 tablespoons port wine
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons Angostura bitters
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 lb raisins
- 8 ounces currants
- 4 ounces chopped no soak prunes
- 2 ounces chopped glace cherries
- 4 ounces mixed candied fruit peel
- 2 ounces chopped mixed nuts
for the cake
- 9 ounces self-raising flour
- 9 ounces demerara sugar
- 9 ounces butter, at room temp
- 5 large eggs
- you will need 8"(20cm) square cake tin greased and lined with double layer of greaseproof paper.
- One week before you intend to bake the cake put all the fruit and spice ingredients in a large pan. Stir well, and bring to a simmer on a very low heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Allow everything to cool,and pour into a large airtight container,glass or plastic.
- Leave in the chiller for 7 days,stirring occaisionally.
- When you are ready to bake the cake,pre heat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Put all cake ingredients in a large bowl add eggs and whisk or beat to an even blend.
- Now gradually fold in the fruit mixture until its evenly distributed. Spoon mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 3 hours without opening the door. Cover with 2 thicknesses of greaseproof paper and bake for another hour, or until the centre feels springy when touched.
- cool for 45 minutes then put on a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Store in airtight box.
- It's best kept for a month before cutting.
- decorate as takes your fancy.