Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Traditional Christmas Cabbage that my grandmother made to be served with white fish, perogies, kielbasa. It's a dish that you either love or hate... but it is comfort food!
- 2 bags sauerkraut
- 1 bag dried whole green peas
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- Follow the directions on the peas for reconstituting them.
- I generally do the"quick" method of boiling water (but frankly, they never get soft enough and well, that's basically part of this recipe's charm).
- After the peas have softened, drain them and combine with the sauerkraut and onion in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally so the sauerkraut and onions don't stick or burn.
- The sauerkraut will give off more liquid as it heats which will help to cook the onions and get the peas a bit softer.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the butter and just enough flour to slightly thicken the mixture.
- Serve HOT& it's actually better the second day.