1/10 Photos of Christmas Butter Cookies
These cookies make great ornaments! Snowmen, candy canes, stars, moons, holly leaves, reindeer, lighthouses, bells and fir trees galore. These are just a few of the cookie cutters we used making these wonderfully rich cookies. Paint each cookie with confectioner's sugar glaze and decorate with different colored sugars or you may sprinkle sugar on cookies before they bake.What fun! This recipe from Land O' Lakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- decorator sugar, if desired
- 1Combine 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup butter, egg and 1 tsp vanilla in large bowl.
- 2Beat on low, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- 3Sift in flour and baking soda and beat until well mixed.
- 4Divide dough in half.
- 5Cover each half in plastic wrap.
- 6Refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours).
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F Roll out 1/2 the dough on lightly floured surface (I use 1/2 flour 1/2 confectioners sugar).
- 8Keep remaining dough chilled.
- 9Roll dough out to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness.
- 10Cut with 4-inch cookie cutter.
- 11Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- 12Sprinkle with decorator sugars, if desired.
- 13Bake for 6 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- 15While cookies are still warm, use toothpick to make holes for ribbons to hang cookies as ornaments.
- 16Cool completely.
- 17Frosting or filling: Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla in small bowl.
- 18Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often and adding enough milk for desired frosting consistency.
- 19Tint with food color, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Butter Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.8
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 34.3 mg
- Sodium 124.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g