Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great at Christmastime! Red and green colors make this salad so festive! So easy to make and looks great in a trifle dish or glass bowl.
- 4 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups sweet red peppers, chopped
- 10 slices bacon, strips cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 dash pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cider vinegar and pepper until smooth. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Although there a lot of great broccoli salad recipes on the Zaar, I tried this one because of the "Christmas" in the name. I particularly liked the addition of the sweet red peppers. I used red onion instead of green; rice vinegar instead of cider vinegar; sunflower seeds instead of pecans, and added dried cranberries (to make it even more Christmas-y). Like another reviewer, I added sugar -- 1 TBSP of organic sugar to the dressing. Also used Light Hellman's mayo and center cut bacon to cut down on the fat and calories. My dinner party group snarfed it down!
This recipe is similar to mine. I use white balsamic vinegar, this keeps it form looking brown, as using cider vinegar does. I also shred carrots, and use sunflower kernels. Nexy time I make it I am going to use pecans for a nice change.
Nice, I loved the fact that is was red and green and a nice change from the same old broccoli salad. I didn't put 3 cups of red pepper in it as I thought that might be an overkill. We just eye-balled the ingredients and made sure the dressing did it's job. TY