Recipe by cameraman007
This hearty breakfast meal, full of fresh tomatoes and mushrooms, gets much of its terrific flavor and texture from the English muffins that line the bottom of the dish. I found this on wholefoodsmarket.com
Top Review by Liza at Food.com
Made this for house guests this past weekend and everyone loved it! The combo of flavors and fact that I could make it the night before won me over. Will repeat it over Christmas for sure!
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange English muffin halves in the bottom of a greased 9- x 13-inch baking dish, cutting them to fit, if necessary; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid is thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Spoon tomato mixture over the top of the English muffins, distributing it evenly; set aside to let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over tomato mixture, then sprinkle with basil. Cover and chill overnight.
- Set dish aside at room temperature for 1 hour and preheat oven to 350°F Sprinkle casserole with cheese and bake, uncovered, until puffed, cooked through and cheese is golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve immediately.